Definition: A state in which things are uncertain, foggy or jumbled; bewilderment; when one cannot act with clarity or understanding.
1. Confusion is not of the Lord
* 1 Corinthians 14:33a For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace.
* 2 Corinthians 11:3 [The Devil tries to complicate matters and cause us to question.] But I fear, lest by any means, as the Serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
* James 1:8 [The Enemy tries to weaken or hinder us by getting us confused or "double-minded":] A double minded man is unstable in all his ways. [See also Hosea 10:2a .]
2. Sometimes we bring confusion upon ourselves by disobedience or unconfessed sin.
* Jeremiah 3:25 We lie down in our shame, and our confusion covereth us: for we have sinned against the Lord our God ... and have not obeyed the voice of the Lord our God.
* Jeremiah 7:19 Do they provoke Me to anger? Saith the Lord: do they not provoke themselves to the confusion of their own faces? [See also Ezra 9:7 .]
* Daniel 9:7,8 O Lord, righteousness belongeth unto Thee, but unto us confusion of faces, as at this day; to the men of Judah, and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and unto all Israel, that are near, and that are far off, through all the countries whither thou hast driven them, because of their trespass that they have trespassed against thee. 8 O Lord, to us belongeth confusion of face, to our kings, to our princes, and to our fathers, because we have sinned against Thee.
* James 3:16 For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.
3. When we are praying and in tune with the Lord, He makes things simple and clear.
* Psalm 17:5 Hold up my goings in Thy paths, that my footsteps slip not.
* Proverbs 3:6 In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths. [See also Proverbs 21:29b .]
* Proverbs 4:18 But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.
* Proverbs 4:26 Ponder [think and pray about] the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established.
* Proverbs 10:9a He that walketh uprightly walketh surely.
* Proverbs 15:19b The way of the righteous is made plain.
* Proverbs 16:3 Commit thy works unto the Lord, and thy thoughts shall be established.
* Jeremiah 10:23 [Without prayer and God's consequent guidance, a man cannot find his way.] O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. [See also Psalm 37:23 ; Proverbs 20:24 .]
4. We can avoid confusion before it starts by keeping our minds on the Lord and His Word. The Lord gives us peace of mind, which keeps confusion at bay.
* Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee: because he trusteth in Thee.
* Psalm 1:2,3 But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in His law doth he meditate day and night. 3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.
* Psalm 112:7 He shall not be afraid of evil tidings: his heart is fixed, trusting in the Lord.
* Psalm 119:80 Let my heart be sound in Thy statutes; that I be not ashamed.
* Psalm 119:165a Great peace have they which love Thy law.
* John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
* John 16:33a These things I [Jesus] have spoken unto you, that in Me ye might have peace.
* Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
* Colossians 3:15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.
5. When we feel confused, we need to stop and pray for understanding.
* Deuteronomy 4:6,7 Keep therefore [the statutes of God] and do them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the nations, which shall hear all these statutes, and say, Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people. 7 For what nation is there so great, who hath God so nigh unto them, as the Lord our God is in all things that we call upon Him for? [See also Psalm 111:10 .]
* 1 Kings 3:9a [Wise Solomon wisely prayed for wisdom:] Give therefore Thy servant an understanding heart to judge Thy people, that I may discern between good and bad.
* Psalm 25:4,5 Shew me Thy ways, O Lord; teach me Thy paths. 5 Lead me in Thy truth, and teach me: for Thou art the God of my Salvation; on Thee do I wait all the day.
* Psalm 143:10 Teach me to do Thy will; for Thou art my God: Thy Spirit is good; lead me into the land of uprightness.
* Proverbs 2:6 For the Lord giveth wisdom: out of His mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.
* Ephesians 5:17 Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.
* Colossians 1:9b Pray ... that ye might be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding.
6. When feeling confused it often helps to ask for prayer and counsel.
* Proverbs 11:14 Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.
* Proverbs 15:22 Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellors they are established.
* Acts 15:6,30,31 [When confusion and dissension had arisen in the churches of Antioch, the apostles met together for counsel and prayer, and God gave them a solution:] And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter.… 30 So when they were dismissed, they came to Antioch: and when they had gathered the multitude together, they delivered the epistle: 31 Which when they had read, they rejoiced for the consolation. [See all of chapter 15 for the whole story.]
7. Some good verses to claim in prayer when you are feeling confused:
* Psalm 71:1 In Thee, O Lord, do I put my trust: let me never be put to confusion.
* Psalm 27:11a Teach me Thy way, O Lord, and lead me in a plain path.
* Psalm 55:18 He [God] hath delivered my soul in peace from the battle that was against me: for there were many with me.
* Isaiah 30:21 And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left.
* Isaiah 42:16 And I will bring the blind by a way that they knew not; I will lead them in paths that they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight. These things will I do unto them, and not forsake them.
* 2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
* James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
Copyright (c) 1998 by Aurora Productions